Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 quarts ( 8 cups ) homemade turkey or chicken stock OR ready-made gluten free stock
- 4 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 2 cups peeled, chopped carrots
- 1 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons salt OR to taste
- 2 teaspoons dry thyme
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup amaranth
- For the dumplings-
- 3/4 cup all purpose gluten free flour mix (I used Bob's Red Mill AP Gluten Free Baking Mix)
- 1/2 cup amaranth
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme OR gluten free poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon guar gum
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup gluten free turkey OR chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large stockpot whisk 1/3 cup amaranth into 1 cup of turkey stock. Stir over medium head until smooth and thick.
- Slowly add remaining stock.
- Add shredded turkey, carrots, celery, onions, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until vegetables are tende, about 20 minutes.
- While turkey stew is simmering prepare the dumpling batter.
- Place dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Add sour cream, stock and olive oil and stir just until blended.
- Drop 1/8 cup portions of dumpling batter into the simmering broth.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the dumplings cook for 20 minutes. Don't take the lid off the pan while the dumplings are cooking.
Remove bay leaves before servings
Yield: About 8 servings / 14 dumplings
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.