Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used light olive oil but canola oil works well too)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free sweet rice flour OR rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped Bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 pound peeled, chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 2 minced cloves garlic
- 10 ounce package sliced frozen okra
- 5 cups gluten-free chicken stock (fresh or canned)
- 1 pound sliced gluten-free andouille sausage (I used Wellshire Farms Andouille Chicken Sausage available at Whole Foods)
- 1 pound cooked, shredded chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 3 bay leaves (remove before serving)
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups freshly cooked rice
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
- Tabasco Sauce
Combine the oil and flour in a heavy stockpot. Over medium heat, whisk continually until the mixture turns a deep caramel color. There is nothing magical about making a roux. Stir continually and remove from heat as soon as the mixture turns a deep caramel color.
- Add chopped onions, celery, bell pepper and green onions and return to medium heat. Stir until vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Put the okra in a heavy skillet and stir, over medium heat until not "ropey", about 15 minutes. (The ropes are clear strings of natural mucilage which make okra an excellent thickener). Remove from heat.
- Add the stock, sausage, shredded chicken, chopped tomatoes, okra, seasonings and garlic to the pot. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
- To serve, place 1/2 cup cooked rice in bowls and add gumbo. Garnish with parsley and a few drops of Tabasco.