Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 55 minutes
- 8 thinly sliced medium sweet variety onions (I used Walla Walla onions in this recipe)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper (white pepper if you have it) to taste
- 1 tablepoon potato flour (not starch)
- 2 quarts (8 cups) gluten-free beef stock (homemade or commercial) See notes
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine (I used Chardonnay)
- 1/2 cup good quality dry sherry
- For Croutons:
- 12 rounds of your favorite gluten-free bread (I used 1 recipe for GF Buckwheat Honey English Muffins, halved each muffin and used a round biscuit cutter to make GF croutons to top soup) OR use ready-made gluten-free salad croutons for convenience
- 1 pound shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 large clove garlic, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ovenproof soup crocks
- Recipe for Homemade Beef Stock from About.com Guide to Italian Food
Heat butter and olive oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add sliced onions, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook the onions for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally until onions are caramelized and golden brown. Sprinkle flour over cooked onions, stir it through and cook for about 90 seconds.
Increase heat to medium-high and add beef stock, wine and sherry to onions. When the soup begins to boil, immediately reduce heat to low, cover stockpot and simmer for 30 minutes.
To make the croutons, use a round biscuit cutter to cut gluten-free bread. Broil the bread slices on low for about 3 minutes on each side. Watch closely to avoid burning the croutons. They should be dry and lightly toasted. Rub each crouton on both sides with the cut side of the raw garlic clove and brush with olive oil. Return the bread to the broiler and toast for 2 more minutes on each side, just until golden brown.
Preheat oven to 450F / 232C. Place ovenproof soup crocks on a baking sheet for safety and easy handling. Ladle soup into the crocks and place 2 rounds of Gf bread or 1/8 cup of commercial gluten-free croutons on top of soup in each bowl. Evenly sprinkle cheese on top of the croutons. fully place baking sheet with soup crocks in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until is a bubbly golden brown. Serve immediately.
Yield - About 6 large servings (depends on the size of your soup crocks)
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.