Gluten-free beef stew with sweet potatoes and prunes is rich with layers of flavor. The stew is thickened with sweet rice flour, available at most Asian markets. Serve this fragrant stew with a salad and a gluten-free wild rice muffin for a very satisfying cool weather meal.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
Total Time: 5 hours, 20 minutes
- 3 tablespoon light olive oil
- 2 pounds lean sirloin steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup gluten-free sweet rice flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 medium chopped onion (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 minced cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 4 cups peeled sweet potatoes, cut in 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 large potatoes)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pitted prunes
- 1 cup gluten-free beef broth OR 2 gluten-free beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 1 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 12 ounces gluten-free beer
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrins is gluten-free in the US- read labels carefully!)
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange peel (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large heavy skillet.
- Place cubed beef, sweet rice flour, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl. Stir to coat beef with flour.
- Add beef to the hot oil in the skillet. Brown for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Remove beef from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to the hot skillet. Add onions and saute for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger. Stir and saute for another minute.
- Add the beef broth to the pan and stir, scraping the the bottom of the pan to mix in the flavors from the browned meat.
- Add beef, onion mixture, sweet potatoes, prunes, apple cider, gluten-free beer or wine, cider vinegar, mustard, Worchestershire sauce, bay leaf and grated orange peel to a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Stir to blend ingredients and cook on low for approximately 5 hours.
- Flavors will deepen by cooling and refrigerating overnight. Warm and serve.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.