Make your own gluten-free oat matzoh crackers which are used to make fresh gluten-free matzoh meal- the key ingredient in gluten-free matzo balls. If you prefer, you can purchase gluten-free matzoh meal or crackers to use in this recipe.
First things first, make one recipe of Low Fat Kosher Chicken Soup from About.com Guide to Low Fat Cooking, Fiona Haynes.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 recipe Low Fat Chicken Soup (link below)
- For Matzo Balls:
- 1 1/4 cup fresh gluten-free matzoh meal (Store-bought OR make matzoh meal from homemade matzoh crackers - recipe below. Crush one to one and half 8-inch gluten-free matzoh crackers to make matzoh meal.)
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons gluten-free chicken stock (use fresh stock from the chicken soup)
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Make one recipe of Low Fat Kosher Chicken Soup and one recipe of Gluten-Free Oat Matzoh Crackers. for convenience both recipes can be made up to 2 days before serving your matzo ball soup.
- To make gluten-free matzo balls-]Separate egg whites and yolks. Place egg whites in a mixing bowl and whip until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks, chicken broth and olive oil.
- Place gluten-free oat matzoh crackers in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush to fine crumbs. For finer crumbs, place crushed crackers in a clean coffee bean grinder and pulse 2 times. Add salt and pepper to crushed matzoh cracker crumbs and stir to combine.
- Use a large spatula to gently fold half of the cracker crumb mixture into the egg whites. Next, gently fold half of the egg yolk mixture into the egg white - cracker crumb mixture. Repeat with remaining cracker crumbs and egg yolk mixture.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before cooking
- For easy, round matzoh balls, use a 1/8 cup capacity ice cream scoop to form balls or use form matzoh balls using a rounded heaping tablespoon of matzoh dough.
- Drop matzoh balls into simmering chicken soup and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer for 30 minutes and don't lift the lid to peak!
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.