This satisfying recipe for gluten-free Irish oatmeal soup was adapted for gluten-free diets from a recipe which appears in the charming cookbook Irish Soup Recipes, created by Tony Potter Publishing, Ltd., Dublin, Ireland.
Authentically Irish, this lovely green soup is full of healthy vegetables including spinach, mushrooms, onions and of course potatoes.
I was pleasantly surprised at how subtly ground clove flavored this recipe. However, if you prefer, you can substitute ground allspice for the ground clove called for in the recipe. Serve chunky or puree in a blender, processor or with a stick blender - your choice.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 1/4 cup butter (or your favorite dairy free butter substitute)
- 1 cup peeled, diced potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced sweet yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 4 cups gluten-free chicken stock, preferably organic, without MSG
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves OR ground allspice
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup cream or half and half (or your favorite dairy free milk substitute)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Melt butter in a stockpot over medium heat. Add potatoes, onions and mushroom and cook until vegetables are soft but not mushy. Add chopped fresh spinach, cloves, chicken stock and gluten-free oatmeal. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream or half and half (or your favorite dairy free milk substitute.) Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve chunky or if you prefer, puree warm soup in blender, food processor or with a stick blender. Reheat to serve.