Creamy gluten-free scalloped potatoes make an economical yet elegant side dish, fit for special occasions and holiday menus.
For a gluten-free / dairy free version of this recipe substitute milk and butter with your favorite dairy-free products and omit the cheese. Sweet rice flour works beautifully as a thickener in this recipe.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: Serves 8-10
- 6 peeled, thinly sliced Yukon gold or russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cubed butter or dairy free butter substitute
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley OR a combination of parsley, thyme and savory
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups milks or dairy free milk substitute (more if needed to cover potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked gluten-free ham (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
Lightly grease the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Layer 1/3 of the sliced potatoes in the dish, slightly overlapping potatoes. Scatter about 1/3 cup cubed ham over layer (optional.) Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper, minced herbs and dot with about 1/3 of the cubed butter. Repeat layers. Sprinkle top layer with cheese and paprika (optional.)
Whisk sweet rice flour with about 1/2 cup milk until smooth and lumps disappear. Add remaining milk and whisk. Pour over potatoes and add more milk if necessary to just cover the top of the potatoes.
Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork and the top is golden brown. Allow to rest for about 20 minutes before serving.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.