Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: 6 to 12 servings
- 3 medium-sized acorn squash, cut in half and seeded (I like to cut the squash in half lengthwise)
- 6 medium Fuji or similar apples, cored and diced (skin on)
- 6 scallions (green onions,) thinly sliced
- zest of 1 medium orange
- juice of 1 medium onion
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger root
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Salt and ground pepper to taste
Pour 1/4 cup water into a large roasting pan - large enough to hold 6 squash halves.
Place squash halves, cut side up in pan. Cover pan with foil or lid and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Remove pan and carefully pour off water. Brush squash with about 2 tablespoons of the melted butter. Salt and pepper squash to taste.
Combine all stuffing ingredients, including remaining butter in a bowl and stir to combine. Spoon stuffing evening into each squash half. Return to oven, uncovered and bake an additional 20 minutes.
Tip - Squash halves can be cut in half for smaller serving.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.