Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup all purpose gluten-free flour mix (see note)
- 1/4 cup amaranth flour (see note)
- 8 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum OR xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-2 tablespoons gluten-free powdered sugar for dusting brownies
- NOTE: If you prefer, omit the 1/4 cup amaranth flour and substitute 1 cup of your favorite all purpose gluten-free flour mix)
Line 15x10 inch baking sheet (jelly roll pan) with parchment and grease with butter or lightly coat with baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and beat until blended.
- Place dry ingredients (not the nuts) in a separate bowl and whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix just until well combined.
- Fold in nuts.
- Evenly spread brownie batter in prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until done. Don't overbake or brownies will be hard and dry.
- Cool pan on a wire rack.
- Use a large heart shaped cookie cutter to cut hearts. Save scraps after cutting out hearts- they're good too!
- Put powdered sugar in a small mesh strainer and lightly dust heart brownies.
Yield- About 8 large brownie hearts, depending on size of cookie cutter used
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.