The tradition of serving stollen originated in Germany in the Middle Ages. Stollen is a moist, cake-like yeast bread studded with dried or candied fruits and dusted with snowy powdered sugar.
This classic recipe for gluten-free miniature stollen loaves is absolutely delicious and makes 4 small loaves, perfect for sharing with gluten-free family and friends during the holiday season.
Our gluten-free miniature stollen loaf recipe is a modified, dairy-free version of "Stollen," which appears in Complete Gluten-Free Cookbook by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt. Please read Cook's Notes before preparing this recipe!
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: 4 mini loaves
- Please read Cook's Notes before preparing this recipe!
- 1 3/4 cups PLUS 3 tablespoons gluten-free all purpose flour mix - See Cook's Note below!
- 1/4 cup almond meal (flour) How to Make Homemade Almond Meal
- 2 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum (See Cook's Note below!)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger root
- 1 cup canned light coconut milk (or milk)
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low sugar orange marmalade
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free powdered sugar (for dusting baked loaves)
- Cook's Note - This recipe was prepared using Authentic Foods Gluten-Free Classical Flour Blend - a combination of rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch that does not contain added xanthan gum or guar gum. If you use a gluten-free flour blend that contains xanthan gum or guar gum, DO NOT add the 2 teaspoons called for in this recipe!
To make your own gluten-free flour mix for this recipe - use Bette Hagman's "Original Formula" or use your favorite gluten-free flour blend. Only add the 2 teaspoons xanthan gum if you use a gluten-free flour blend that does not have added gum!
Combine gluten-free all purpose flour, almond meal, dry yeast, xanthan gum, cardamom, salt, raisins, dried apricots and crystallized ginger. Use a large whisk to thoroughly blend.
Place coconut milk OR milk in a small saucepan and heat just until lukewarm. Don't allow to boil! Remove from heat. Whisk in eggs, marmalade and vanilla extract.
Add warm liquid mixture to the dry mixture. Stir to thoroughly blend ingredients. Note - if liquid is hot it will kill yeast so be sure it is lukewarm (about 90 degrees F.)
Divide stollen batter equally between 4 mini loaf pans. Each pan should be about 2/3 full. Use a thin spatula to press batter down and remove air pockets in batter. Dampen fingers with water and smooth the top of each loaf.
Cover each pan with lightly greased waxed paper or plastic wrap and place loaf pans in a warm draft-free location and allow batter to rise until it reaches the top of pan. Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C. Note - The time it takes the batter to rise depends on warmth. If you don't have a nice, warm location where loaves can rise, pour about 1/2-inch of warm, not hot water in a large roasting pan. Set mini loaf pans in the water and cover with a dish towel and allow to rise.
Gently peel plastic wrap from each loaf pan and place loaves on middle rack in preheated oven. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the loaves are golden brown on top and a digital thermometer placed in the middle of loaf measures 204 degrees.
Set pans on cooling rack for 10 minutes then remove loaves from pans and set on rack to completely cool. Dust with gluten-free powdered sugar.
When completely cooled, loaves can be wrapped and frozen for up to one month.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.