Lent begins 40 days before Easter and is a season of spiritual renewal in the Catholic Church. Abstaining from meat (the flesh and organs of mammals and fowl) on Ash Wednesday and each Friday during Lent is customary.
Read more about dietary abstinence during Lent.
From our About.com Guide to Gluten-Free Cooking:
- Gluten-Free Fish Fry Batter Gluten-Free Salmon Croquette Recipe
- Gluten-Free Fish Tacos
- Gluten-Free Macaroni and Cheese
- Gluten-Free Pesto Pasta with Toasted Pine Nuts
- Gluten-Free Crab Cakes
From our About.com Guide to German Food:
From our About.com Guide to French Food:
From our About.com Guides to Spanish Food:
- Garbanzo and Spinach Soup with Cod
- Spanish Omelet or "Tortilla Espanola"
- Shrimp in Garlic or "Gambas al Ajillo" Be sure to substitute gluten-free bread for the baguette called for in the recipe!
- Deviled Eggs with Shrimp or "Huevos Rellenos de Gambas"
From our About.com Guide to Italian Food:
- Risotto with Bell Peppers or "Risotto con i Peperoni" Be sure to substitute vegetable broth for the beef broth called for in the recipe.
- How to Make Polenta with Clam Sauce
From our About.com Guide to Greek Food:
- Stifatho (Stifado) me Manitaria: Mushroom & Onion Stew
- Yigandes Plaki: Baked Beans & Tomato Casserole
- Fakes me Ryzi: Brown Lentils and Rice
From our About.com Guide to Low Carb Diets: