Trying to get someone to eat their broccoli? Add gluten-free cheese sauce and watch the broccoli disappear. Also, serve with gluten-free tortilla chips for instant nachos!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free amaranth flour
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Swiss cheese
- 1 1/4 cup lukewarm milk OR dairy free substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon GF seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon GF onion powder (not salt)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan on medium low heat. Whisk in amaranth flour and stir until a bubbly paste forms. Cook for two minutes being careful not to let the mixture brown.
- Add milk or dairy free substitute and whisk until the sauce is smooth and thick. Bring just to a slow bubbly boil and remove from heat.
- Add grated cheeses and gluten free seasonings and stir until the cheeses melt and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Serve warm on fresh steamed vegetables or gluten free pasta.
Makes about 1 1/4 cups
Substitute your favorite cheeses in this recipe- cheddar cheese sauce is one of my favorites.
Obviously this is not a dairy free recipe but you can reduce the amount of dairy in it by substituting dairy free milk. I use canned organic light coconut milk with good results.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.