Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 8 slices firm gluten-free bread, cut in half diagonally (I used Udi's gluten-free white bread)
- 2 cups whole milk OR light coconut milk
- 3/4 cup half and half OR milk OR coconut milk
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (to your tastes)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large bananas, peeled and sliced in 1/4-inch rounds
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter OR your favorite dairy free butter substitute
- 2 tablespoons dark Jamaican rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free powdered sugar (optional - for garnish)
Butter or spray one 11x7-inch baking dish
In a large bowl combine milk, half and half, sugar and eggs. Whisk to blend. Add rum, melted butter, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk to combine.
Submerge bread slices in bowl and let sit for about 5 minutes. Remove bread slices and stack them in rows in baking dish with long, sliced side down on the bottom of the baking dish. (see photo)
Add sliced bananas to the wet mixture in the bowl and gently stir to blend. Pour this mixture evenly over the bread slices and move banana slices as needed so that several bananas are on each wedge of bread.
Bake in preheated oven for about 50 minutes or until the mixture is set and bread is deep golden brown. Check frequently and if bread begins to burn lightly cover with foil.Optional: Place powdered sugar in a small mesh strainer and lightly sprinkle over top of bread pudding just before serving.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.