For a cheesy variation make heart-shaped gluten-free cheese crackers.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 3/4 cup organic amaranth flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch OR cornstarch
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked peppper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- 1 teaspoon GF garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon GF onion powder
- 2 tablespoons Herbs de Provence OR any GF herb blend you like
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt to sprinkle on top of crackers
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper
- Place dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk until well blended.
- Add olive oil and water and stir until dough forms a ball. If mixture is still crumbly, add water, one teaspoon at a time, until dough forms a ball.
- Divide the dough in half with a knife. Sprinkle a smooth work surface with a small amount of white rice flour. Sprinkle rice flour on a rolling pin and roll the dough until it is very thin, about 1/16th of an inch thick (like pie crust).
- Use 2 to 4-inch heart shaped cookie cutters to cut crackers. Prick tops of crackers with a fork. Using a small spatula, transfer crackers to baking sheets. Sprinkle tops of crackers lightly with Kosher salt.
- Repeat with second half of cracker dough. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and place crackers on wire racks. Put the wire racks on the baking sheets and return crackers to the oven for an additional 5 to 7 minutes.
Cool crackers and store in an airtight container.
Makes about 2 to 3 dozen crackers, depending on the size of cookie cutters used
Tips: If dough is crumbly don't worry- just add water, a teaspoon at a time to keep the dough rollable. Gently roll back and forth on the dough to avoid cracks. Also be gentle when piercing the cracker dough with fork.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.