- 1 cup gluten-free cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten-free flour mix (use your favorite mix, preferably without added xanthan gum or guar gum)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon guar gum OR xanthan gum (if your gluten-free flour mix contains a gum, add only 1/2 teaspoon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1/3 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1 cups low fat buttermilk OR your favorite dairy free milk substitute (with 1 teaspoon cider vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil OR canola oil
Spray a 9-inch square glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, gluten-free flour blend, sugar, guar gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk egg, buttermilk, pumpkin puree and oil. Add wet mix to dry ingredients and stir until just moist. Pour batter into prepared baking dish and bake in preheated oven 25 to 35 minutes or until lightly golden and the top springs back slightly when pressed. Serve warm.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.