The Bottom Line
A store-bought loaf of gluten-free bread with such good flavor, texture and appearance that no one will know that it's gluten-free! Too good to be true? Not any more. Udi's Gluten-Free Foods in Denver, Colorada has done it! Is this the holy grail of gluten-free breads? Decide for yourself.
- Amazing texture and flavor!
- Dairy Free
- Nut Free
- Soy Free
- Small Loaf Size
- Udi's Gluten-Free Whole Grain Bread, 12 ounce bag (340 gram), manufactured by Udi's Gluten-Free Foods, Denver, Colorado.
- Each loaf contains approximately 14 slices of bread. One serving size is 2 ounces - 2 slices of bread.
- Serving: 160 calories, 4.5 g total fat, 0 saturated / trans fat, 0 choleterol, 23 g carbs, 3 g sugar, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein
- Udi's gluten-free products: whole grain bread, white bread, blueberry muffins, cinnamon rolls and lemon streusel muffins.
- If you can't find Udi's gluten-free products in your area they are available online at Udi's website.
- For longer shelf life keep Udi's bread in the freezer until ready to eat.
- Look for Udi's Gluten-Free Breads in the freezer section of your grocery.
Guide Review - Review of Udi's Gluten-Free Whole Grain Bread
I've been hearing a lot of buzz about Udi's Gluten-Free breads and muffins and was thrilled to find the line of Udi's gluten-free products at my local grocery and health food store recently.
At first glance, I was disappointed at the smallish size of the 12-ounce frozen loaf. I paid $6 for my loaf of Udi's GF Whole Grain Bread. If I had to feed a family with growing kids that love toast and sandwiches, the price would worry me. According to the label, each loaf contains 6 2-ounce servings, 2 small slices of bread.That said, this really is the best tasting, textured gluten-free bread I have tried, bar none. And it's dairy-free, nut-free and soy-free, ideal for people with multiple food allergies and/or intolerances. This bread does contain egg whites.
Ingredients in Udi's Gluten-Free Whole Grain Bread:
- Tapioca Starch
- Brown Rice Flour
- Potato Starch
- Canola Oil
- Egg Whites
- Teff Flour
- Flax Seed Meal
- Xanthan Gum
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Baking Powder
- Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda)
- Calcium Sulfate
- Monocalcium phosphate
- Cultured Dextrose
- Ascorbic Acid
- Microcrytalline Cellulose
As you can see by the ingredient list, Udi's uses an array of dough conditioners, including calcium sulfate, monocalcium phosphate, cultured dextrose, ascorbic acid, microcrystalline cellulose and enzymes. Dough conditioners are used by virtually all commercial bakeries to create an environment within the dough that yeast thrive in. Dough conditioners make baked goods lighter with better crumb texture and can retard staling.
Kudos to Udi's. This bread is amazing.