Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 3 large eggs, plus 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch (see note)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups light canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons softened dairy free butter substitute (I used Earth Balance Vegan Sticks)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- Note: You can substitute 1/4 cup of your favorite gluten-free flour blend in this recipe, preferably one without added xanthan or guar gum.
Beat eggs with sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add gluten-free flours, vanilla, coconut milk, softened dairy free butter substitute, salt, and flaked coconut. Beat just until ingredients are combined.
Pour pie mixture into an ungreased 9-inch pie plate. Bake in preheated oven until custard is set and coconut turns golden brown, about 45 minutes.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.