This light and luscious recipe for gluten-free frozen Key lime pie is based on a classic, easy recipe which calls for sweetened condensed milk and egg whites instead of yolks used in the original Key Lime Pie recipe. It's deliciously refreshing and can be prepared ahead of time and held wrapped in the freezer until ready to serve.
This recipe is an adaptation of "Frozen Lime Pie" by Lowis Carlton which appears in her cook booklet, Famous Florida Recipes - 300 Years of Good Eating - one of my favorite "Florida" cookbooks.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 prepared unbaked 8-inch deep dish OR 9-inch gluten-free graham cracker pie crust recipe
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed Key lime OR Persian lime juice
- 1 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk, preferably organic
- 5 large egg whites - use pasteurized eggs to avoid potential bacterial contamination
- 2 tablespoons granulated cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lime zest
- Whipped cream for garnish, optional
Combine freshly squeezed lime juice and canned sweetened condensed milk in a mixing bowl and beat just until smooth. In a separate bowl whisk egg whites on high until foamy. Gradually add 2 tablespoons sugar and beat until stiff but not dry.
Fold lime juice - milk mixture and lime zest into egg whites. Use a large spatula to pour pie filling into prepared gluten-free graham cracker crust. Freeze uncovered. When completely frozen, lightly wrap pie with plastic wrap. Remove from freezer about 10 minutes before cutting. Garnish with whipped cream - optional.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.