Homemade almond meal is so easy to make. In less than 5 minutes you can have fresh almond meal, at a fraction of the cost of ready-made products. Be sure to refrigerate (or wrap, label and freeze) any unused almond meal because it can become rancid after being ground and exposed to oxygen and light.
Time Required: Under 5 minutes- Start to Finish!
- Place 1/2 cup blanched or unblanched almonds in a clean electric coffee bean grinder.
- Put the lid on the coffee bean grinder and pulse several times until a medium-fine textured meal forms. Don't over-grind or you will make almond butter!
- Put ground almond meal in a clean flour sifter. Sift almond meal. Place any large particles of almonds back in coffee bean grinder and pulse again. Sift reremaining almond meal.
- That's it. Use any nut to make fresh, delicious nut meals using this simple technique.
- Do not over-grind the almonds or you will end up with almond butter!
- Use a flour sifter free of any gluten cross-contamination. Make your sifter a "dedicated" gluten free flour sifter- use only gluten free ingredients in it!
- Store-bought almond meal is frequently made with blanched almonds- almonds that have had the skins removed. I like to use almonds with their skins on because the skin contains healthy antioxidants.
- Always store almond meal in a labeled container in the refrigerator or freezer.
What You Need
- Almonds- Either blanched or whole with skin
- Electric coffee bean grinder
- Flour sifter
- Storage container