All About Gluten-Free Cooking
By Teri Gruss, MS, About.com Guide
A gluten-free diet is a medical prescription for people with Celiac disease, dermatitis herpetiformis and non-Celiac gluten sensitivity. This means that your health or the health of your gluten-intolerant child depends on avoiding gluten in all its' various forms and avoiding cross-contamination in the kitchen.
The basics of gluten-free cooking include learning which foods contain gluten and which are safe to eat, how to avoid gluten in processed foods, how to use gluten-free flours, how to convert your favorite recipes to healthy gluten-free recipes and how to eat a nutritionally balanced diet. That's a lot to learn!
- Living the Gluten-Free Lifestyle
- Getting Started
- Raising Gluten-Free Kids
- Gluten-Free Ingredients and Baking Tips
- Gluten-Free Cooking and Nutrition
- Where to Find Gluten-Free Products
- Reviews of Gluten-Free Cookbooks and Products
Living the Gluten-Free Lifestyle
Our terrific About.com Guide to Celiac Disease offers lots of helpful tips and resources to help people with Celiac disease learn how to cope with the restrictive gluten-free diet. Learn how to safely enjoy gluten-free foods when you're away from home - at a restaurant, while traveling or when you're out socializing. These great suggestions make life on a gluten-free diet so much more enjoyable!
- Learning to Live with Celiac Disease
- How to Dine Out on a Gluten-Free Diet
- Socializing on a Gluten-Free Diet
- Tips for Traveling on a Gluten-Free Diet
- Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease
Good news- there has never been a better time to be a gluten-free cook! Public awareness, an exploding gluten-free products market, dozens of new cookbooks and professional support organizations are devoted to helping people on gluten-free diets lead a healthy, enjoyable life.
- What Exactly is Gluten-Free Cooking?
- 5 Tips for New Gluten-Free Cooks
- Avoid Gluten at the Grocery Store
- Celiac and Gluten Intolerance Support Organizations
Raising Gluten-Free Kids
Tips and child-friendly gluten-free recipes for raising healthy gluten-free kids.
- Teaching Your Child About Their Gluten-Free Diet - Tips and Recipes
- How to Pack a Healthy Gluten-Free School Lunch
- More Gluten-Free School Lunch Recipes and Tips
Gluten-Free Ingredients and Baking Tips
Find out which ingredients are safe to eat on a gluten-free diet and how to us them in daily cooking. Gluten-free flours and starches behave quite differently than flours that contain gluten. Learn how gluten-free ingredients are mixed, blended and coaxed into our favorite recipes that, more often than not look and taste remarkably good!
- 15 Tips for Baking Better Gluten-Free Bread
- Ancient Gluten-Free Grains
- Using Expandex in Gluten-Free Recipes
- Safe and Unsafe Grains and Flours
- 20 Gluten-Free Grains, Flours and Starches
- How to Use Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum in Gluten-Free Cooking
- Gluten-Free Flour Mix Recipes from the Celiac Sprue Association
- How to Measure Gluten-Free Ingredients for Better Baking Results
Gluten-Free Cooking and Nutrition
A balanced and varied gluten-free diet is vital to healing and long-term health. Find nutritional tips and analysis of gluten-free flours, meal planning tips and menu plans to help you design a healthy gluten-free diet.
- Kids and the Gluten-Free Diet
- How to Prevent Iron Deficiency on a Gluten-Free Diet
- How to Prevent Folate Deficiency on a Gluten-Free Diet
- Protein Content of Gluten-Free Grains
- Tips for Using Amaranth in Gluten-Free Recipes
- Why Use "Ancient" Gluten-Free Grains in GF Cooking?
- 2 Week Gluten-Free Menu Plan
- Find Nutrient Analysis of Gluten-Free Foods with About.com Calorie Count Tool
- Cooking for Gluten-Free Kids
Where to Find Gluten-Free Products
The gluten-free products market is the fastest growing segment of the grocery industry. Find products at your local groceries, natural foods markets and online.
- Gluten-Free Product Manufacturers
- Gluten-Free Products at Grocery Stores
- Gluten-Free Products Online
- Gluten-Free Breweries
Reviews of Gluten-Free Cookbooks and Products
Finding good cookbooks and gluten-free products is an important step in becoming a successful gluten-free cook. Read unbiased reviews to help you decide which cookbooks and products are best for you.