The Bottom Line
If you are looking for new, chef-inspired gluten free recipes, with emphasis on nutrition, Healthy Gluten-Free Cooking is an inspirational cookbook.
- 150 chef-inspired gluten free recipes with a healthy focus
- Basic information on planning a balanced gluten free diet
- 20+ recipes for basic recipes, including traditional roux and béchamel sauce
- Full color, stunning photos
- Bread recipe section adequate but not extensive
- Resources section adequate but not extensive
- Healthy Gluten-Free Cooking, Darina Allen and Rosemary Kearney, Stewart, Tabori and Chang, New York, NY, 2005
- 160 pages with extensive full-color photographs by Will Heap
- Forward by Celiac Disease Foundation President, Elain Monarch
- Sections on safe gluten free foods, a balanced diet, cooking for celiacs, eating away from home and shopping for ingredients.
Guide Review - Review of Healthy Gluten-Free Cooking by Darina Allen and Rosemary Kearney
These creative chefs offer up a selection of tempting dessert recipes, including Balleymaloe Chocolate Almond Gâteau and Lady Dundee's Orange Cake but their pasta recipes, main dish recipes and basic recipes for Yorkshire pudding/popovers, béchamel sauce, roux and high quality broths fill a void missing in many gluten free cookbooks.
Gnocchi with Pesto, Zucchini and Feta Fritters, Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls with Shrimp and Fresh Herbs and Pork en Croûte with Mushroom and Thyme Leaf Stuffing and Apple Sauce are just a few of the gluten free culinary gems to be found in this book.
There are 8 recipe chapters in Healthy Gluten-Free Cooking:
- Breakfasts and Brunches
- Soups and Salads
- Main Courses
- Breads and Biscuits
- Cakes and Desserts
- Basic Recipes include sauces, pesto, popovers/Yorkshire pudding, pizza, mushroom cream, fresh broths and more.