According to our About.com Guide to French Food beef burgundy, or boeuf Bourguignon, is the ultimate slow-cooked comfort food. It is!
The earthy flavors in this simple dish transform run-of-the-mill beef stew into something truly special to be enjoyed with a warm slice of gluten-free bread and a glass of wine.
Our easy version of gluten-free beef burgundy is adapted from a recipe for "Burgundy Beef' which appears in The Fannie Farmer Cookbook.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 pounds lean stewing beef or sirloin, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, chopped in 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium gluten-free beef stock, preferably homemade
- 1 1/4 cups red wine, Burgundy or Cabernet
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 teaspoons fresh crumbled thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt, or to taste
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, wiped clean
- 8 ounces fresh peeled or frozen (thawed) pearl onions
Preheat oven to 300° F / 149° C
Place butter and olive oil in a heavy Dutch oven on medium high heat. When pan is hot, but before the fats start to smoke or burn, add cubed beef and cook until browned. Turn beef to brown all sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Add chopped onions and cook for about 5 minutes, or just until they begin to turn golden brown.
Turn heat off. Sprinkle sweet rice flour into pan with onions. Stir to combine sweet rice flour with onions. Slowly pour 1/2 cup of the beef stock into pan. Return heat to medium and whisk until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth. Add the remaining beef stock and red wine to the pan. Stir to thoroughly combine ingredients.
Add marjoram, thyme, salt and pepper and stir to blend.
Cover the Dutch oven and place in preheated oven. Cook for 2 hours or until beef is very tender. Remove pan and add mushrooms and pearl onions. Cover and return pan to oven for 30 minutes, or until the pearl onions are tender with pieced with a fork.
Beef burgundy can be prepared up to two days before serving. Cook, completely cool and refrigerate in a covered container until ready to reheat and serve.
Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.