This recipe can easily be converted to gluten-free and dairy free (GFCF) recipe with great results. See recipe for dairy-free substitutions.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 1/3 cups boiling water
- 1 cup gluten-free oatmeal (see resources)
- 1/2 cup butter OR dairy-free butter substitute (vegetable margarine or shortening - see note)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter OR non-dairy substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup cream OR canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- OPTIONAL - To make a nut-free version, omit pecans and use 1 cup shredded coconut
Line 2 twelve-cup muffin tins with paper liners
- Place oatmeal in a bowl and add boiling water. Stir to combine and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Combine 1/2 cup butter or butter substitute with sugars in a large mixing bowl and beat on high until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, vanilla and oatmeal and beat just until combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk gluten-free flour mix, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Gradually add to wet ingredients and beat on low, just until thoroughly blended.
- Fill 24 muffin cups two-thirds full with cupcake batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- While the cupcakes are baking, combine penuche frosting ingredients in a bowl and stir until combined.
- As soon as the cupcakes comes out of the oven, while hot, spread 1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons of frosting mixture evenly over the top of each cupcake.
- Broil cupcakes about 6-inches from the broiler, until the frosting is bubbling and golden brown- about 5 minutes. Watch this step carefully- the frosting will burn if left under the broiler too long! Cool before serving.
Yield - 24 cupcakes
Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread and Spectrum Organic All-Vegetable Shortening are two popular gluten and dairy free butter substitutes.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.