For special occasions make a layered round Hummingbird Cake or make a fast and easy cake in a sheet pan. This recipe was adapted from a recipe that appears in Easy Gluten-Free Baking by Elizabeth Barbone - Hummingbird Cake.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups white rice flour OR superfine brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch OR corn starch
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/2 cup light buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum OR xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups light olive oil OR canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 8-ounce can crushed pineapple with juice
- 2 cups diced bananas (3 medium bananas)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe below)
Use two round 9-inch cake pans, one 9x13 pan or 36 muffin cups for this recipe. If using cake pans, lightly grease and dust with sweet rice flour. Line cupcake tins with paper cups.
- Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and use a large whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Add oil, eggs and vanilla and use an electric mixer to combine. The batter will be stiff.
- Fold in pineapple with juice, bananas and pecans and stir to combine.
- Pour batter evenly into pans or muffin cups.
- Place pan(s) into preheated oven. Bake batter in cake pan(s) 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of cake comes out clean. The top of the cake with be golden brown. Bake cupcakes for about 25-35 minutes or until done.
- Cool cakes before frosting. Remove round cakes from pans by carefully running a thin spatula around the edges of the cake to loosen the sides of cake from the pans. Invert pans with cooled cakes on a wire rack before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free powdered sugar
While cake or muffins are cooling place butter, cream cheese and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and beat on high until smooth. Add powdered sugar gradually and beat until smooth and creamy. When cake is cool frost.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.