Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 18 minutes
Total Time: 48 minutes
Yield: 12 large or 16 regular cupcakes
- For Cupcakes:
- 1 15-ounce box Betty Crocker® gluten-free yellow cake mix
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 medium bananas)
- 1/3 cup melted and cooled Spectrum organic all vegetable shortening (or butter if you aren't dairy-free)
- 1/3 cup fruit nectar (I used apricot nectar but use any fruit nectar you like)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla
- For Frosting:
- 1/3 cup Spectrum all vegetable shortening at room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 tablespoons fruit nectar (apricot, mango, papaya - you decide!)
- Optional - gluten-free sprinkles OR slices of banana to decorate
Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C
Line 12 large muffin pans OR about 16 regular muffin pans with paper liners.
In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, mashed bananas, melted shortening, fruit nectar, eggs and vanilla extract. Use an electric mixer and beat just until ingredients are blended.
For large cupcakes, scoop a scant 1/3 cup of cupcake batter into each of 12 large cupcake liners. Alternatively, use regular-sized cupcake liners and make about 16 cupcakes, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
Bake in preheated oven for about 18 minutes. Cool on rack before frosting.
While cupcakes are cooling make frosting. Place shortening, powdered sugar, fruit nectar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer and beat on high until frosting is smooth, creamy and spreadable. If frosting seems too thick, add more fruit nectar, one teaspoon at a time, until it is a spreadable consistency.
When cupcakes are completely cool, frost cupcakes. Decorate with gluten-free sprinkles or banana slices - optional.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.