A moist, spiced gluten free pumpkin muffin made with fresh apple, figs or dates and walnuts and topped with cinnamon crumble. This recipe is a gluten and dairy free version of "Apple Date Muffins," which appears in Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free, Reduced-Calorie Cookbook by Connie Sarros.
Read a review of Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free, Reduced-Calorie Cookbook by Connie Sarros.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour mix (see notes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum OR xanthan gum IF the GF all purpose flour mix you use does NOT contain gum)
- 1 small, cored and minced apple (peeled optional)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dried figs
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup light organic canned coconut milk OR milk if you prefer
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 3 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree (don't use premixed pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Ingredients for Crumble Topping:
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all purpose flour mix
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablepoon Spectrum All Vegetable Shortening OR butter if you prefer
Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a medium bowl combine dry ingredients and whisk to thoroughly combine.
In a separate medium mixing bowl combine, apples, figs, coconut milk, sugar, eggs, olive oil, mayonnaise, pumpkin puree and vanilla. Stir to thoroughly combine- use a spoon, not an electric mixer. Add dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in chopped walnuts (optional).
Combine crumble topping ingredients and use a fork to blend the ingredients together.
Fill each muffin cup with 1/4 cup of muffin batter. Evenly sprinkle crumble topping on top of each muffin. Bake in preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean.
Yield: 12 muffins
Use your favorite gluten-free all-purpose flour mix in this recipe. If your mix contains xanthan gum or guar gum, OMIT the 1/2 teaspoon of gum called for in the ingredient list.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.