Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup white rice flour
- 1/3 cup amaranth flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 teaspoon guar gum
- 1 tablespoon GF baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup dry buttermilk powder OR dairy free substitute
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (one stick) softened, unsalted butter OR 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 3 large mashed bananas
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Fiori di Sicilia OR vanilla extract (Recipe below)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- For Lemon Syrup:
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- Lightly butter a 9x5-inch loaf pan, preferably a heavy gauge metal pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk all dry ingredients until thoroughly blended.
- Mash bananas in a medium mixing bowl.
- Place eggs, softened butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat until fluffy. Add mashed bananas and water.
- Add dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix just until blended.
- Use a large spatula to scrape the banana bread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reads 205° (or until a clean knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean). The top of the loaf will be deep golden brown.
Make the lemon syrup
While the banana bread is baking bring lemon juice, sugar and lemon zest to boil in a medium size, heavy saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
When banana bread is done, use a wooden skewer or small knife to poke holes in the top of the loaf. This allows the lemon syrup to penetrate into the bread. Remove lemon zest from syrup and pour the syrup evenly over the top of the warm loaf. When bread is cool serve or refrigerate overnight for more intense flavor. Freezes well.
Omit sorghum flour and use 1 cup white rice flour for a lighter banana bread.
Lemon syrup is optional.
Homemade Fiori di Sicilia Substitute: Mix all extracts in a small bowl.
- 1 teaspoon GF vanilla extract (I use Sonoma Syrup Company™ No. 4- Vanilla Extract "Crush")
- 1/2 teaspoon GF lemon extract or flavoring
- 1/2 teaspoon GF orange extract or flavoring
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.