Here's our latest and favorite gluten-free (and dairy-free) bread recipe. This gluten-free bread has a terrific springiness and is neither too dry or too wet. And, it has a wonderful yeasty flavor and calls for simple ingredients that are easy to find.
When followed exactly this recipe is consistently dependable. The batter rises quickly and as the loaf bakes it doesn't bubble over the sides of the pan. As it cools it doesn't cave in.
It's highly recommended that you use a good kitchen scale to weigh ingredients, don't substitute with other gluten-free ingredients and use an instant read digital thermometer to know when your bread is done. And if you have a good stand mixer that helps too.
You will see two out-of-the-ordinary recommendations in our new gluten-free bread recipe. The directions call for using both xanthan gum and guar gum, and in smaller amounts than most gluten-free bread recipes call for.
Also, an optional ingredient called for is "apple fiber." Most health food markets and lots of online stores carry this inexpensive nutritional supplement which contains about 10% apple pectin. Apple pectin adds texture and flavor to bread recipes, even though a small amount is used. We like the NOW Foods brand apple fiber quality and price.
Another perk that comes with this delicious gluten-free bread - it's economical.This recipe makes a 1 pound, 10 ounce loaf - over twice the weight of some commercial frozen gluten-free breads.
Check out our Step-by-Step Guide - How to Make Homemade Gluten-Free Bread.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Rise time about : 35 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 5 minutes
Yield: 1 pound 10 ounces / 16 slices
- Note - For consistent baking results, it's highly recommended that you weigh your dry ingredients, especially the flours and starches. If you bake bread often, it's so much faster and easier to weigh than to measure!
- DRY INGREDIENTS:
- 135 grams / 4.8 ounces / about 1 cup white rice flour
- 100 grams / 3.5 ounces / about 1 cup tapioca starch
- 75 grams / 2.6 ounces / about 1/2 cup sweet sorghum flour
- 70 grams / 2.5 ounces / about 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 20 grams / 2 tablespoons dry active yeast
- 25 grams / 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 11 grams / 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 grams / 1 teaspoon guar gum
- 2 grams / 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (adds flavor and acts as a natural preservative)
- Optional - 7 grams / 1 tablespoon apple fiber (a dry nutritional supplement, available at health food stores)
- LIQUID INGREDIENTS:
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature (114 grams / 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil (25 grams)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (5 grams)
- 286 milliters / 9.66 ounces lukewarm water / 1 cup + 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon (don't use hot water - it will kill the yeast)
- Note: If you store your gluten-free flour in the refrigerator or freezer, be sure to bring these ingredients to room temperature before preparing bread recipes. Chilled ingredients will stunt the rise of the bread.
Grease one 8 X 4-inch loaf pan, preferably a heavy-duty metal pan. This recipe was developed specifically for use in this size loaf pan.
Place a 2-quart bowl on kitchen scale. Weigh each dry ingredient into bowl. Be sure to press the "zero" feature on your scale before weighing each ingredient. Use a whisk to thoroughly blend dry ingredients.
Place room temperature egg whites in mixing bowl of stand mixer. Use paddle attachment and beat on high for 1 minute. Eggs will be frothy. Add olive oil and apple cider vinegar and beat to blend.
Add dry ingredients to the egg mixture. Beat on low for about 10 seconds. Add water and beat on low until mixture forms a thick batter. Beat on high for 3 minutes.
At this point, preheat oven to 375° F / 190° C. Use a thin plastic "spreader" spatula to scrape the thick bread batter into prepared 8 X 4-inch loaf pan. Hold the spatula upright and insert it into batter throughout to break up any air pockets in batter. Dip spatula in some water and use it to shape a nice smooth loaf. Run the spatula down the sides and over the top of the loaf until it's nice and smooth.
Cover the batter loosely with plastic wrap and set the pan in a warm, draft-free location to rise. This takes about 30-45 minutes. The loaf should rise just about the top edge of your pan.
Place pan in preheated oven. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Tent loosely with foil. Bake for another 30 minutes or until an instant read digital thermometer reads 208° F / 97.8° C. This is an important step and will ensure that your bread is completely cooked.
Use your thin spreader spatula or a knife to release loaf from pan immediately after removing it from oven. Cool on a wire rack. When completely cool slice bread.
Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.