If you tolerate dairy foods and can find it, serve Gluten-Free Irish Soda Bread with Kerry Gold butter- the rich, deep yellow, super creamy butter from Ireland.
Read a review of Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free, Reduced-Calorie Cookbook by Connie Sarros.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 cups gluten-free all purpose flour mix ( I used Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust Mix with great results)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon honey OR 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cold dairy-free butter substitute, cut in small pieces (see note)
- 1/2 cup currants OR raisins
- 2 large, lightly beaten eggs
- 1 cup minus 1 tablespoon light, canned coconut milk (see note)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- Extra gluten-free flour to shape dough
- Extra coconut milk to brush on loaf before baking
- Note: If you include dairy foods in your diet, use unsalted butter instead of dairy-free butter substitute and substitute buttermilk for the coconut milk. If using buttermilk, reduce the amount of apple cider vinegar from 1 tablespoon to 1 teaspoon.
Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease.
Note: The key to preventing stickiness while shaping the bread loaf is to liberally flour a large cutting board (work surface) with gluten-free flour mix or white rice flour. Keep hands and loaf lightly floured while shaping!
- Sift all dry ingredients EXCEPT baking soda. Pour into a medium mixing bowl.
- Use hands to work cold butter substitute into flour mixture. Add currants.
- Add cider vinegar to coconut milk and pour into dry ingredients. Mix with an electric mixer to thoroughly blend.
- Add mayonnaise and lightly beaten eggs and mix just until combined. Add baking soda and mix to combine.
- Turn the thick, sticky batter onto a floured cutting board and shape the loaf into a round ball, about 6 inches in diameter.
- Use a sharp knife to cut an "X" on the top of loaf.
- Brush with coconut milk and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Brush with coconut milk again.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 45 minutes or until the loaf is golden and done.
- Serve warm
I used Bob's Red Mill Pizza Crust Mix to make this recipe. It worked beautifully and is both gluten and dairy free. This product contains whole grain brown rice, potato starch, whole grain millet flour, whole grain sorghum flour, tapioca flour, potato flour, evaporated cane juice, xanthan gum, sea salt and guar gum. Don't use the package of yeast that is in the bag for this recipe!
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.