Our new gluten-free focaccia bread recipe is easy to make with easy-to-find ingredients, it's economical, versatile and dairy-free too.
Traditionally, focaccia bread is baked on a sheet pan. I like to use a generously oiled 9 by 9-inch metal cake pan to bake focaccia bread because I end up with bread with two golden sides of crust plus more delicious, soft bread in the middle.
Crusty gluten-free bread makes wonderful artisan sandwiches and the inner section of bread can be sliced from the crust, cubed and used to make croutons, seasoned stuffing and savory bread pudding, making this a very versatile gluten-free bread recipe.
This is a great bread basket recipe and is delicious dipped in seasoned olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
For best results weigh your ingredients and use both xanthan gum and guar gum in this recipe. Learn more about the synergistic effects of using both gums in bread recipes.
If you don't have a scale, and don't want to buy one, be sure to measure the right way. This method will ensure that you don't use too much flour in your recipes.
We don't recommend making ingredient substitution recipes when following a gluten-free bread recipe. This recipe has been prepared with the following ingredients with very good results.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Rise time:: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Yield: About 12 servings
- For sponge:
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour / 64 grams / 2.2 ounces (we used Bob's Red Mill organic brown rice flour) (See note!)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons (1 packet) dry active yeast (not rapid or quick acting yeast)
- 2 teaspoons organic cane sugar ( 11 grams)
- 1/2 cup warm water (100 degree F) / 118 ml / 4 fluid ounces
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 cup brown rice flour / 128 grams / 4.5 ounces
- 1/2 cup sweet white sorghum flour / 74 grams / 2.6 ounces (Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch (NOW brand organic) / 62 grams / 2.2 ounces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt / 10 grams
- 3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum / 3 grams (NOW brand)
- 3/4 teaspoon guar gum / 2 grams (NOW brand)
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free herb blend / 9 grams (Simply Organic Seafood Seasoning Blend used) - Use your favorite herb blend
- Wet ingredients:
- 4 medium egg whites at room temperature (Cold egg whites will slow the rising process. Tip - place whole eggs in a bowl of warm water to speed the process of bringing them to room temperature before separating the yolk and whites.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup warm water (100 degrees F) / 177 ml / 6 ounces
- To prepare the baking pan:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Topping for focaccia bread - Add just before baking:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon additional gluten-free herb blend
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt or Kosher salt
- Note: Do not use super fine milled brown rice flour in this recipe. It absorbs too much water for success and I have tried it several times. I recommend using Bob's Red Mill Organic Brown Rice Flour in this recipe. After multiple preparations with Bob's Red Mill, it works perfectly every time. Finely milled brown rice flour does not!
To prepare 9 x 9-inch baking pan (use a heavy metal pan instead of glass) - Pour 2 tablespoons of olive oil in bottom of pan and brush evenly to coat bottom and sides of pan.
Begin by preparing sponge:
Place 1/2 cup brown rice flour, sugar and active dry yeast in a 2 cup bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup of warm, not hot water. Hot water will kill the yeast. Stir just until the mixture is smooth. Set aside, uncovered while preparing the rest of the recipe.
Use a scale to measure dry ingredients. This is the BEST method to use when baking. It's also easier than measuring and will ensure consistent results each time you make the recipe!
Weigh brown rice flour, sweet white sorghum flour, tapioca starch, sea salt, xanthan gum, guar gum and herbs. Place in a bowl and use a whisk to thoroughly blend ingredients. Set aside.
Place room temperature egg whites in a mixing bowl. Use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer to beat egg whites until frothy and bubbly. Add olive oil and mix on low, just to blend. Scrape the sponge into the mixing bowl with a spatula. It should be rising and bubbling at this point. Add dry ingredients and remaining 6 ounces of warm water. Beat on low to blend all ingredients. Increase beater speed to high and mix for about 4 minutes. The batter should be smooth and thick.
Use a thin spatula to scrape the batter into prepared pan. Dip spatula in water and evenly spread batter in pan. Smooth top of focaccia batter with damp spatula or fingers. Use a damp finger to poke holes or dimples evenly in the bread batter. Cover and set in a warm place and let the batter rise until doubled in volume. This should take from 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the temperature in your kitchen.
While bread is rising preheat oven to 375° F / 190° C.
When the batter has doubled in volume, drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over the top, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon gluten-free herb blend and coarse salt. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and an instant read thermometer reads 206 degrees F.
Remove the bread from the pan, place on a cooling rack and allow to completely cool before cutting.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.