Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings
- For the Velouté Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons gluten-free sweet rice flour
- 2 cups gluten-free chicken broth
- 2/3 cup heavy cream OR half and half
- 2 lightly beaten egg yolks
- Salt to taste
- For the Chicken a la King:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter OR olive oil
- 3 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 2 finely sliced green onions with tops
- 4-ounce jar pimentos with liquid
- 1 cup thawed frozen peas
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 3 cups Velouté sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 slices toasted, buttered gluten-free bread
Melt butter in heavy saucepan on medium heat. Whisk in sweet rice flour to make a smooth paste. Constantly whisk for one minute. Pour in chicken stock and whisk to thoroughly combine. Cook over medium heat until sauce is smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add cream and whisk to combine.
Lightly beat egg yolks in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of the hot sauce mixture to egg yolks and whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle egg yolk mixture into pan with hot sauce and whisk. Add salt to taste and constantly whisk over medium high heat for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.Prepare Gluten-Free Chicken a la King:
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large heavy saucepan. Add cooked cubed chicken and slicked green onions and cook over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Add entire jar of pimentos with liquid, thawed peas and dry sherry. Stir to combine. Pour Velouté sauce over chicken mixture and stir to combine. Add smoked paprika and cayenne (optional.) Stir to combine and cook over medium high heat for about 3 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, toast 6-8 slices of your favorite gluten-free bread. Butter and spoon hot gluten-free chicken a la king over toast. Garnish with minced parsley(optional).
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.