We love this economical, fast and easy recipe for gluten-free salmon croquettes (patties).
If you avoid farm-raised salmon, be sure to look for "wild caught Alaskan" canned salmon. We used canned "wild caught sockeye salmon" in this recipe.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: About six 3.5 ounce patties
- 3 (6 ounce) cans wild caught Alaskan salmon (see note)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet yellow onion
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dry dill weed
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Lea and Perrins Worchestershire Sauce (gluten-free in the U.S. but product sold in England or sourced from England)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free Panko crumbs OR your favorite gluten-free crackers finely crushed (Divide crumbs, half goes in the salmon mixture and half is used to coat the croquettes before frying)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened finely grated coconut (if you don't have coconut, or prefer not to use it, substitute by adding an additional 1/4 cup gluten-free Panko crumbs or crushed gluten-free crackers for the coconut used to coat the salmon croquettes before frying)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil for pan frying
- Homemade Lime Mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- juice from 2 lime wedges
- Cook's Note:
- What's the difference between wild caught salmon and farm-raised salmon?
Line a small baking sheet or 13 x 9- inch dish with parchment paper.
Drain canned salmon and put in a large mixing bowl. Add chopped onion, eggs, seasonings, worchestershire sauce and gluten-free Panko crumbs. Use a large spoon or spatula to thoroughly combine the mixture.
Combine remaining 1/4 cup of gluten-free Panko crumbs and unsweetened coconut in a bowl. Stir to combine. If you aren't using coconut, use 1/2 cup gluten-free Panko crumbs or crushed gluten-free crackers instead.
Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup or equivalent scoop to shape croquettes. Fill the measuring cup with the salmon mixture. Turn out into your hand and shape into a patty. Dredge each patty in the coconut crumb coating mixture. Cover each side and edges. Place croquettes on lined pan. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour before pan frying. Croquettes can be prepared ahead of time, covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for convenience.
Add olive oil to a large, heavy fry pan. Heat on medium high. Carefully add croquettes and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 5 minutes. Gently turn and brown the other side.
Stir fresh squeezed lime juice into mayonnaise. Stir to blend.
Serve salmon croquettes warm with lime mayonnaise.
Reminder: Avoid gluten cross contamination in the kitchen!
Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.