Gluten-free fish tacos are a culinary sensation. Served from South America to Alaska, fish tacos are a very distant relative to the drive-thru tacos we are most accustomed to. Seasoned coleslaw with minced jalapenos and fusion mayo add flavor and crunch to this, my favorite taco recipe.
Use a firm-fleshed mild fish like mahi-mahi or Alaskan halibut for great flavor and texture. The fish is pan-fried without breading or batter.
Find soft gluten-free corn tortillas, like Mission brand, usually in or near grocery dairy cases. They are full of authentic tortilla flavor and the soft texture is perfect for this taco recipe.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 23 minutes
Yield: 8 fish tacos
- 8 gluten-free soft corn tortillas ( 6 to 8-inch) 2 cups coleslaw mix (store-bought blend used for convenience)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil to brush on tortillas
- 1/2 cup packed cilantro, mince
- 1 tablespoon seeded, minced fresh jalapeno pepper (more if you like heat)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 pound halibut fillets OR your favorite firm-fleshed fish, cut in 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan-fry fish
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- Pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free taco seasoning PLUS 1 teaspoon reserved for mayonnaise mixture (Make your own or use a gluten-free store-bought blend like Simply Organic gluten-free organic taco seasoning which was used in this recipe)
- 2 limes, cut in 10 wedges
- 3/4 cup gluten-free mayonnaise
- Optional: Pico de gallo and easy guacamole
Preheat oven to 325° F / 163° C
Brush gluten-free corn tortillas with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and wrap in parchment paper or foil and place in preheated oven to warm, while preparing recipe.
Mix coleslaw, cilantro and jalapeno in a bowl. Add rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste and toss to coat. Set aside.
Sprinkle fish fillet strips with salt and pepper. Add olive oil to a heavy skillet and heat on medium heat. Add fish strips and pan fry for 4 minutes. Turn strips, sprinkle with gluten-free taco seasoning. Cook for about 3 to 4 more minutes or until fish is just cooked through. Remove fish to a cutting board, and cut in 1/2-inch chunks.
Place mayonnaise in a small bowl. Squeeze the juice from 2 lime wedges into mayonnaise and stir in reserved 1/2 teaspoon of gluten-free taco seasoning.
Remove warm tortillas from oven. Divide fish evening on 8 tortillas. Top with coleslaw mixture and drizzle with mayonnaise mixture. Serve with fresh lime wedges to squeeze over slaw.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.