For a fast and easy version of delicious gluten-free eggplant Parmesan, substitute the "Sauce Ingredients" for your favorite store-bought gluten-free pasta sauce. This way you can make a meatless version of gluten-free eggplant Parmesan if you like.
This recipe was adapted to gluten-free diets from a recipe which appears in Sunset Italian Cookbook - From Antipasto to Zabaglione. The recipe can be assembled up to 1 day ahead of time, covered and refrigerated until ready to bake.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
- Sauce Ingredients OR optional 1 25-ounce jar of gluten-free pasta sauce (Muir Glen Organic pasta sauces are gluten-free)
- 2 - 2 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or pork
- 1 finely chopped green pepper
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 1/2 pound chopped mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free Italian seasoning blend (Tone / Durkee / Spice Island)
- 1 large can (28 ounces) canned tomatoes or "Italian" seasoned canned tomatoes
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- Eggplant Ingredients
- 2 medium-eggplants, trim ends and slice into 1/4-inch rounds
- About 1/2 cup all purpose gluten-free flour (your favorite recipe or brand, preferably without xanthan or guar gum)
- About 1/4 cup olive oil for pan frying
- 3 large eggs plus 1/3 cup water, whisk together in a small bowl
- 1 pound sliced or grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Italian herb blend to sprinkle on top
Brown ground beef or ground pork in a large saucepan until thoroughly cooked. Drain off fat. Add peppers, onions and mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings, tomatoes and tomato paste. Stir to blend and simmer for about 45 minutes until sauce in thick. Stir frequently to prevent burning.
Optional -- Use store-bought pasta sauce.
Heat about 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet. Place gluten-free flour blend in a plastic 1 quart bag. Add 3 or 4 eggplant slices at a time to bag. Shake to lightly coat eggplants. Dip each slice in egg / water mixture. Pan-fry eggplant in oil for about 2 minutes, until golden brown, turn each slice and brown the other side. Drain slices on a paper-towel. Add more olive oil to pan as needed. Continue until all eggplant slices have been browned.
Place half of the eggplant slices in the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking dish. Spoon half of sauce ingredients over eggplant, cover sauce layer with half of Mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers once. Top with grated Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
Note -- After assembling, you can cover dish and store in refrigerator for up to one day before baking.
Bake, uncovered in preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Note -- If you are baking the recipe after preparing it ahead of time, remove it from the refrigerator about 20 minutes before putting it in the oven, and bake it an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly on top.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.