Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 large crab cakes / 18 small
- 1 pound crab meat, preferably lump
- 1 finely diced small red or green Bell pepper
- 1 finely diced small sweet yellow onion
- 2-3 minced large cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 15 coarsely crushed gluten-free crackers (I used Glutino Gluten-Free Vegetable Crackers with good results)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared (not dry) mustard
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 cup all purpose gluten-free flour for dusting crab cakes before frying
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil for pan frying crab cakes
Saute minced pepper, onion and garlic in olive oil for about 4 minutes on medium heat. Do not brown. Place crackers in a plastic bag and coarsely crush with a rolling pin or round drinking glass.
Combine crab meat, sauteed vegetables, crushed crackers, egg, mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Old Bay seasoning and thoroughly combine with a large spatula.
Shape crab cakes. This recipe makes 6 large gluten-free crab cakes or about 18 appetizer, bite-sized crab cakes.
Place gluten-free all purpose flour in a shallow dish. Add salt, pepper and paprika (optional) to taste. Dust each cake lightly with flour and pan fry in olive oil over medium high heat until golden brown on each side.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.