I used superfine brown rice flour and potato starch (not flour) in this recipe for added nutritional value. For convenience you can substitute your favorite gluten-free cake mix in this recipe with good results. Angel food, white, yellow or spongecake all work well.
This recipe is gluten and dairy-free so it's appropriate for GFCF diets.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 pints fresh strawberries
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar- to taste
- 1/2 cup superfine brown rice flour OR 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon white rice flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch OR cornstarch OR arrowroot starch
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon guar gum OR xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Spectrum all-vegetable shortening OR butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup canned light coconut milk OR milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Non-dairy gluten-free whipped topping (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C
Grease a muffin pan with vegetable shortening or use paper cupcake liners.
Note- If you have a shortcake baking pan this adds a nice indentation to the cakes, which is great for nestling the strawberries and for soaking up strawberry juices, but it isn't necessary.
- Place all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and whisk to thoroughly combine.
- Place shortening and sugar in another mixing bowl and use a stand-mixer or an electric mixer to cream until fluffy. Add eggs and beat on high just until combined with the shortening and sugar mixture.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat on low until combined. Pour in coconut milk and vanilla and beat until the batter is smooth and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Fill each muffin cup about 1/2 full with batter.
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the cakes are lightly golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the center cuts out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in the baking pan for about 10 minutes before carefully removing them.
- To serve, cut the cupcakes in half and place on individual plates. Spoon about 1/2 cup strawberries and juice over each cake and top with GF non-dairy whipped topping (optional).
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.