Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 42 minutes
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine brown rice flour (2 tablespoons = 1/8 cup)
- 1/4 plus 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon guar gum or xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 3/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons softened butter OR dairy free butter substitute
- 1 egg
- Extra sweet rice flour to sprinkle on cutting board
- For Glaze: 1 cup gluten-free powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon rum OR cream OR coconut milk
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper, silicone liners OR lightly grease with vegetable shortening
Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to thoroughly blend.
In another large mixing bowl add honey, brown sugar,egg and softened butter. Use an electric mixer and blend on high until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat just until combined. Transfer cookie dough onto a large sheet of waxed paper. Shape into a large circle. Wrap completely with waxed paper and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
To shape cookies, remove dough from refrigerator. Use a knife to divide the dough in half. Liberally flour a cutting board with sweet rice flour. Dust a rolling pin with sweet rice flour and roll the dough about 1/8-inch thick for crisp cookies. If you prefer your cookies a bit thicker and softer, roll to about 1/4-inch thick. Dip your favorite holiday cookie cutters in sweet rice flour and cut out cookies. Use a spatula to transfer cookies to baking sheets.
Bake in preheated oven for about 8-12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are lightly browned and are firm to the touch. Thinly rolled cookies will bake faster than thicker cookies! Transfer to a cooling rack.
To glaze cookies, whisk gluten-free powdered sugar and rum together until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is too thick, gradually add a few drops of rum until the consistency is right for drizzling on cooled cookies.
Use a fork or small spoon to drizzle glaze on each cookie. Let cookies sit until the glaze sets.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.