This recipe is adapted from a recipe by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt- "Cherry Almond Biscotti" which appears in their cookbook Complete Gluten-Free Cookbook
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 3/4 cup amaranth flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal (see tips)
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch OR cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon guar gum
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped, toasted almonds (see tips)
Butter a 8x8 inch baking dish
- Combine all dry ingredients except sugar in a medium mixing bowl and use a large whisk to thoroughly combine.
- In another mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar until blended.
- Add dry ingredients to eggs and sugar and mix until blended.
- Fold in toasted almonds and stir to combine.
- Pour in prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes, until just starting to turn golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to divide the biscotti into 4 equal pieces. Cut each piece into 6 even slices.
- Place biscotti slices on a baking sheet and bake an additional 15 minutes, or until crisp.
- Store in an airtight container.
Makes 24 biscotti slices
For fresh and convenient almond flour, use a clean electric coffee bean mill to grind your own.
To toast almonds- Evenly spread 1 1/2 cups of whole, unblanched raw almonds on a baking sheet. Toast in preheated oven for about 8-10 minutes.
Yield- 24 Biscotti
Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.