Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 5-6 medium, peeled, cored and halved apples
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup amaranth flour
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1/3 cup white rice flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 extra-large egg
- Make tart pastry- Sift amaranth, almond and rice flours. Whisk in sugar and salt. Use a pastry cutter, fork or your fingers to work the butter into the flour. Add the lightly beaten egg and stir just until the mixture forms a ball. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Make caramelized apples- Over medium heat, melt 5 tablespoons butter in a heavy 8- inch skillet. Stir in sugar and cook for about 1 minute. Place one layer of apples, cut side down in the pan. Simmer apples in caramel sauce for about 15 minutes- until apples are tender, but not soft and mushy. Remove the skillet from heat.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Lightly sprinkle a large sheet of waxed paper with rice flour. Place the chilled pastry dough on the flour dusted paper and cover with a second large sheet of waxed paper. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to about 1/16th-inch thick. Place a 10-inch dinner plate on the dough and use a knife to cut around the plate. This makes a nice uniform circle. Carefully lift the dough on the waxed paper and place it evenly over the apples in the skillet. Slowly peel the waxed paper away from the dough. Use a fork to gently press down on the outer edges of the dough.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the tart crust is golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes and invert on a 10 inch serving plate.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.