Buttery-rich gluten-free apple crumble is a delicious, easy alternative to apple pie - just as flavorful but without the fuss of making gluten-free pie crust.
This recipe was adapted to gluten-free diets from a recipe which appears in the cookbook Cooking Light - Holiday Cookbook, Buttery Apple Crumble.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 10 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, divide
- 1/2 cup orange juice OR apple cider
- 1/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons arrowroot powder OR cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups certified gluten-free oats
- 3/4 cup gluten-free all purpose baking mix, preferably without added xanthan or guar gum (use your favorite mix - I used Arrowhead Mills Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix with excellent results)
- 1/2 cup packed brown cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 375° F / 190° C
Butter or coat a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray
Prepare apples. Place in a large bowl and add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, juice, granulated sugar and arrowroot powder or cornstarch. Stir to thoroughly coat apples.
In a separate bowl combine gluten-free all purpose baking mix, certified gluten-free oats, brown cane sugar, cinnamon and salt. Add melted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and stir to blend mixture.
Spoon apples into prepared baking pan. Sprinkle the crumble mixture evening over the apples. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 30 minutes more or until the top is golden and bubbling.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.