A jar of homemade gluten-free brownie mix makes a perfect gift for gluten-free family and friends. This recipe is easy to make and the brownies are rich and delicious!
This gluten-free brownie recipe was adapted to gluten-free diets from a recipe which appears in Good Housekeeping Brownies - Favorite Recipes for Blondies, Bars and Brownies - "Basic Cocoa Brownies."
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 9 to 12 brownies
- Dry Mix: (Makes enough to fill 1 pint jar and prepared, fills one 8x8 inch pan)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all purpose flour blend (I used Authentic Foods Gluten-Free Classical Blend)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup PLUS 2 tablespoons granulated cane sugar
- Add to dry mix:
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (or nuts of your choice) - optional
Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C for metal pan OR 325° F / 163° C for glass baking dish.
Grease an 8x8-inch baking pan with butter, coconut oil or cooking spray.To prepare dry mix:
Place dry ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Sift and package in a one-pint decorative jar or can.To prepare brownie batter:
In a large mixing bowl, combine butter, eggs and vanilla extract. Whisk to combine. Add the entire jar of dry brownie mix and stir to thoroughly combine. Stir in nuts (optional).
Scrape brownie mixture into prepared baking pan.
Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes. Watch cooking time carefully. When a toothpick inserted into center of baking dish comes out clean brownies are done. Don't overbake or brownies will be hard! Cool in the pan on a rack for at least 15 minutes before cutting.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.