Creamy, frosty smoothies are the fastest, easiest on-the-go breakfast fare on the planet. A few simple, healthy ingredients and a blender and you have the perfect busy morning breakfast.
Smoothies can be extremely nutritious, depending on what you put in them of course! Smoothies loaded with sugar and fruit aren't necessarily healthy and they're loaded with carbs.
Our strawberry flax smoothie is made with plain Greek yogurt, a super source of complete proteins. We've added a healthy dose of one tablespoon of fresh ground organic flax meal and we sweeten our smoothie with stevia, a low calorie natural substitute for sugar.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: One 12-ounce serving
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt (I used Fage brand)
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground golden flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Stevia to taste (I use pure Stevia extract powder which contains zero fillers. 1/8 teaspoon is the amount of stevia used in this recipe but add a little at a time to determine the amount that is best for you)
- 1/2 cup cold spring water
Place Greek yogurt, frozen berries, flax, vanilla, stevia and water in blender pitcher. Pulse until smooth and creamy. If the mixture is too thick add more water, one tablespoon at a time.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
Nutritional Analysis - One 12-ounce serving:
- 120 calories
- 2.3 grams fat
- 13 grams carbohydrates
- 13 grams protein
- 43 mg sodium
- 3.5 grams fiber