With this easy recipe for gluten-free buttermilk pancakes, you can enjoy the taste of light and tender classic pancakes anytime - even when you don't have a lot of time to cook.
If you don't have buttermilk in the frig, just add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar to the milk for an instant substitute for buttermilk.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour blend (please see Cook's Note)
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk OR 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons milk + 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil OR your favorite vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Cook's Note:
- I used 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Gluten-Free Pantry All Purpose Flour Mix - a blend of white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and guar gum) PLUS 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour. If you use a gluten-free all purpose flour blend with added xanthan gum or guar gum don't add more gum to this recipe. If you are using a GF flour blend without added gum, add 1/4 teaspoon of your favorite gum to this recipe.
Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk to thoroughly blend.
Combine buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla in a separate mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. If you are making your own "buttermilk," pour milk into a mixing bowl. Add white vinegar and let sit for about 5 minutes. Then add olive oil, egg and vanilla extract to the milk mixture. Whisk to blend.
Stir milk mixture into dry ingredients and whisk until batter is smooth. If batter looks too thick, add more milk, 1 teaspoon at a time.
Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Lightly brush the skillet will light olive oil or canola oil. For medium-sized pancakes, use a 1/4 cup measuring cup for each pancake. Pour into heated skilled and cook until bubbles form and the bottom is golden brown. Flip and cook second side until golden. For larger pancakes, use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to measure batter for each pancake.
To freeze pancakes - allow to completely cool. Wrap each pancake separately and place in a plastic freezer bag.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.