Gluten-free pancakes with blueberries feature one of nature's richest sources of antioxidants, blueberries, a healthy and delicious way to start your gluten-free day.
We've reworked our recipe to make it better. Hope you like it!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 panckaes
- 1 1/4 cups gluten-free all purpose flour blend NOTE: I used 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Gluten-Free Pantry All Purpose Flour Mix - a blend of white rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch and guar gum) PLUS 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour. If you use a gluten-free all purpose flour blend with added xanthan gum or guar gum don't add more gum to this recipe. If you are using a GF flour blend without added gum, add 1/4 teaspoon of xanthan gum to this recipe.
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil OR your favorite neutral vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk OR your favorite dairy-free substitute
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (If using frozen blueberries, thaw first)
- PLUS, extra vegetable oil for frying pancakes
Measure dry ingredients together in a bowl and whisk to combine. In a separate bowl beat egg until thick and foamy. Add oil and buttermilk to egg and whisk to blend.
Add dry ingredients and whisk until the pancake batter is smooth. Gently stir in blueberries.
On medium high, heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a heavy skillet. Spoon about 1/3 cup of pancake batter in hot skillet and smooth the pancake. Dot the top of the pancake with 1/4 cup fresh blueberries. Cook until golden brown on the bottom and carefully flip. Cook second side until golden brown.
Serve warm with maple syrup or make double blueberry pancakes by serving with blueberry syrup. Makes 6-8 medium sized pancakes.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.