Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 6 medium fresh , peeled, cored, coarsely chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium diced sweet onion
- 1 medium diced green bell pepper
- 1 small, finely minced clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno pepper (wear gloved to remove seeds and finely dice)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar OR fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
The easiest way to peel fresh tomatoes is to place them in boiling water for 1 minute and then immerse them in ice water for about 2 minutes. The skins will split and easily peel off. If you don't like seeds in your salsa, remove the seeds while you are chopping the tomatoes.
Place all ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Cool and pour salsa into 3 pint jars.
Store in refrigerator for 2 weeks.
Yield- about 3 pints of fresh salsa
Tip- Be sure to wear gloves when chopping jalapeno peppers- the volatile oils can burn your skin and eyes.