Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: About 8 appetizer servings
- About 12 ounces of gluten-free corn tortilla chips
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free taco seasoning
- 12 ounces grated cheddar cheese, Monterey Jack or your favorite blend of hard cheeses (about 6 cups grated)
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet yellow onion
- 1/2 cup red or orange chopped Bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pickled Jalapeno peppers, blot dry
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives, blot dry
- 1/2 cup thin sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped Roma tomatoes, blot dry
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Brown lean ground beef in a heavy pan. Drain excess fat. Stir in gluten-free taco seasoning. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 400° F / 204° C
In a 13 x 9 inch baking dish spread a layer of 1/3 of gluten-free corn chips. Sprinkle 1/3 of cooked hamburger evenly over chips. Sprinkle 1/3 of each - chopped yellow onions, Bell pepper, jalapenos, black olives, green onions and tomatoes evenly over hamburger layer. Sprinkle 1/3 cup shredded cheese evenly over the vegetables. Repeat this process with two more layers. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or just until cheese melts. Remove from oven and sprinkle top with fresh chopped cilantro.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
Visit my Gluten-Free Cooking Homepage for the latest in gluten-free recipes and news