It's great that General Mills offers gluten-free versions of Rice Chex and Corn Chex because there are so many delicious gluten-free Chex mix recipes.
Gluten-free spicy Asian party mix was adapted to gluten-free diets from a recipe which appears in the cookbook, Cooking Light Holiday Cookbook, "Asian Party Mix."
The original version calls for "wasabi peas," but I have yet to find a gluten-free version of these head-clearing, super-spicy dried pea snacks. Instead, we added dried cranberries, not so Asian but they add nice flavor and color to this spicy, lightly sweet party mix.
Another delicious gluten-free Chex cereal-inspired recipe - Gluten-Free Chex Nut Clusters.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 4 cups gluten-free corn Chex cereal
- 4 cups gluten-free rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup gluten-free rick crackers, break in half
- 3 cups gluten-free pretzel sticks
- 1/2 cup sea salt peanuts (natural salted peanuts without additives or MSG)
- 1 5-ounce bag Ocean Spray Craisins
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (1/2 teaspoon if you like things extra spicy OR omit if you don't like the heat of cayenne!)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce or tamari sauce
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce
Preheat oven to 200° F / 93° C
In a large mixing bowl combine gluten-free rice and corn Chex cereal, broken rice crackers, gluten-free pretzel sticks, peanuts and Craisins. Use your hands to mix.
Place butter and cane sugar in a saucepan. Melt butter over medium low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add curry powder, garlic powder, cumin, salt, cayenne and gluten-free soy sauce or tamari sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to blend all ingredients.
Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients in large bowl. Stir until all dry ingredients are lightly coated with wet ingredients.
Pour mixture into a large roasting pan. Stir to evenly distribute ingredients. Place in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
Cool party mix and store in an airtight container.
Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.