1. Food
Teri Gruss, MS

Gluten-Free / Grain Free Homemade Dog Treats

By June 27, 2013

Homemade gluten-free and grain-free dog treats image by Teri GrussDid you know that dogs can develop celiac disease too? And if you are a dog owner you have probably noticed the growth of "grain-free" dog foods at your local pet shop.

I have two dogs - Buckwheat and Lilli and when my vet recommended a grain-free diet I decided to take the time to make my two irresistible charges homemade gluten-free / grain-free treats. I'm not a BIG dog treat mom, but it's great to offer up something special on occasion - like when they don't maul the Fed Ex girl when she gets out of her van. Yeah.

My recipe for gluten-free / grain free dog treats is easy to make. In fact the process is much like making peanut butter cookies except our dog treats are baked until they are very dry and crunchy. Buckwheat and Lilli, shall I say, enthusiastically enjoy their homemade dog treats so I am amply rewarded as well.

Homemade Gluten-Free / Grain-Free Dog Treat Recipe

Image 2013 Teri Gruss

Comments

July 12, 2013 at 7:22 am
(1) Rosi says:

Thank you SO much for putting up this gluten-free dog treats recipe. My shih-tzus just love it (so do the whole family); and it’s so easy to make too. Thank you, thank you. The 2nd time I made the cookies I didn’t have pumpkin puree so I replaced it with an apple puree, which I quickly made at home at it tastes as lovely as with the pumpkin puree. Thank you.

July 15, 2013 at 4:04 pm
(2) glutenfreecooking says:

I am so glad you and your dog liked this recipe. Using the apple sauce is a great idea too.

July 16, 2013 at 10:33 am
(3) Kate's Pet Corner says:

Nice recipe, the flaxseed is a great touch for some extra omega-3 fatty acids. Sometimes I use rice flour when making gluten free dog treats and it works very well.

September 28, 2013 at 11:13 am
(4) Sam says:

um… buckwheat is still a grain. I agree, they’re gluten free, but they’re not grain free. Still frustrated trying to find a truly grain free dog treat recipe, anyone got a link to share?

September 29, 2013 at 2:26 pm
(5) Meghan says:

Thank you for sharing this grain free recipe! Of course I had to double check to make sure buckwheat isn’t a grain & by quick google search confirmed it is not. Whoo hoo! Now I just need to know how to make this egg free. My poor pooch is allergic to seemingly everything, & egg is 1 thing that is a no no based on the allergy testing we had done. *sigh* Do you have any idea how to make this egg free?

September 30, 2013 at 3:55 pm
(6) Teri says:

Hi Sam,

Buckwheat isn’t a cereal grain even though it can be ground to a flour, much like beans aren’t grains but can be ground to flour. It’s name can be confusing though – buckWHEAT!

Do you mean you’re looking for a dog treat recipe with no flour of any kind?

October 18, 2013 at 1:23 pm
(7) www.youtube.com says:

Hey there! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect
against hackers? I’m kinda paranoid about losing everything I’ve worked hard on.

Any suggestions?

November 30, 2013 at 4:16 pm
(8) Beth says:

Hi Teri, thanks for the awesome idea! Do you happen to know how long these last? Should we refrigerate after making them? I give my lab 2 cookies per day on average, usually one when I leave for work and one later if he’s being a good boy (he burns it all off lol).
Thanks!

December 1, 2013 at 10:12 am
(9) Teri says:

hi Beth,

They don’t stay fresh very long because they don’t have any preservatives in them. I found keeping them in a ziploc bag in the freezer worked just great. Just take out what you need daily and they thaw super fast. A little hassle- yes but still far better than most store bought doggie treats! My dogs really love these.

January 3, 2014 at 3:26 pm
(10) Belle says:

Sam, Buckwheat is not a grain. It is actually a fruit (and thus available for observant Jews during Passover week). It is very high in protein and has no gluten.

March 19, 2014 at 8:52 am
(11) homemade treats for dogs says:

There’s certainly a great deal to learn about
this issue. I really like all of the points you’ve made.